In our last blog, we talked about some tips for placing a bet at the 2018 Kentucky Derby. In today’s blog, we are going to pick up exactly where we left off and offer some more tips. Contact Superior Executive Services for world-class packages to the Kentucky Derby! We also offer packages to some of the world’s most prestigious sporting events—The Masters, Ryder Cup, Super Bowl, Waste Management Phoenix Open, and more!
How to Talk the Talk
Okay, so you’ve scouted the horses, studied up on the various types of bets, and now you’re ready to throw down some mulla. If you are a new bettor, you probably want to avoid the self-service machines and mobile applications, and instead head for the mutuel window. The mutuel window is where you find mutuel tellers—people who take and process bets. Finding the window is rather easy at the Derby—there will likely be a lengthy line, but don’t worry the tellers move fast—and if you can’t find it just ask around.
When you get to the window, here are the primary steps:
- Have your exact money in hand and ready to go
- State the track’s name
- State the race number that you are betting on
- State the amount of money you are betting
- State the type of bet that you will be placing
- State the horse’s program number
If you have followed these steps and done everything correctly your ticket might look something like this, “Churchill Downs, Race 12, $20 to win on #2.” After you have handed over the right amount of money and submitted your bet, you’ll receive your betting ticket. Stow this away in a lucky and safe spot and let the fun begin. Be sure to not lose your ticket. Without it, you won’t be able to return to the mutuel teller and collect your winnings now matter how much you beg and swear that you put $200 down the winning trifecta.
How to Pick a Winner
This is the easiest part of betting on the Kentucky Derby. It’s as simple as looking out at a field of brawny horses and saying, “Oh yeah! That’s the one!” We kid. This is, of course, the hardest part. Like with almost all betting, there are far too many variables to have a reliable way of picking a winner. That being said, there are some things you can pay attention to to help inform your decision. Below are some of these tips:
- Read the program—the daily program includes all the information you need to make an informed decision.
- Consider what experts are saying—notice we said, “consider.” While some of the advice you get may be helpful, some of it can be very misguided and have just as much merit as your inexperienced hunch.
- Watch the horses—it can be difficult to pick the fittest horse in a race, especially if you don’t know what to look for. To get you started, when assessing the horses, look for pricked ears, muscle definition, calm but energetic nerves, and the aura of a winner.
Looking for more betting resources? Check out this excellent guide on how to read the program and watch some of these betting videos. If you want to learn more about attending the Kentucky Derby in luxury and style, check out our Kentucky Derby packages. Whether you are looking to take in the excitement of the Kentucky Derby from the Millionaires Row or from 1st Level Club House, we’ve got a package for you. On top of this, we can handle and arrange all of your accommodation, transportation, and more.